First flown on September 20, 1954, the HSS-1 (SH-34G) was delivered to a number of Navy anti-submarine squadrons, starting in August 1955 with HS-3. Since the load-carrying ability of the HSS-1 was still somewhat limited, these helicopters operated either as hunters, with dipping ASDIC as the primary search aid, or as killers carrying homing torpedoes externally on the fuselage. Paired hunter/killer operations were possible, but it was more usual for the HSS-1s to search and to call upon destroyers to make the attack when a target was located. For night operations, Sikorsky developed the HSS-1N (SH-34J), incorporating Sikorsky automatic stabilization equipment, Ryan AN/APN-97 Doppler navigation equipment and an automatic hover coupler. Production of these Navy versions totaled 350, including 135 of the HSS-1N model. After being replaced in service by the SH-3As, many Seabats were stripped of ASW gear and used in the utility role as UH-34G and UH-34J. Others were built for the Mutual Aid Program
(source: United States Navy Aircraft since 1911 by Gordon Swanborough and Peter Bowers)
This aircraft's Bu. No. falls within a block of numbers that indicate this aircraft began service as an HSS-1 and was later converted to UH-34J configuration as indicated above. It will be restored and exhibited on the Midway as an HSS-1 Seabat.