Aircraft Data Sheet

for T-2C Bu. No. 156697

 

The first version of the Buckeye was the T2J-1.  It's power plant was a single Westinghouse J34-WE-36.  Rockwell International began deliveries in July 1959.  A two engine version, the T-2B, was developed in the 1960s.  This aircraft had two Pratt & Whitney J60-P-6 engines.  The first production T-2B flew on 21 May 1965 with deliveries beginning later that year.  The aircraft underwent another power plant change in 1968 when the General Electric J85-GE-4s replaced the J60s.  The J85 equipped version was designated the T-2C.  231 T-2Cs were delivered to the U.S. Navy and served as the Navy's basic jet trainer until it was replaced by the T-45 Goshawk in the early 1990s.

 

 

 

 

 

Remarks: This aircraft became an exhibit on USS Midway Museum on 28 September 2004.

Nickname: Guppy

Date of manufacture:  1969

Manufacturer:  North American Rockwell, Columbus, OH

 

Assignment location(s):

04/29/69 05/15/69 NPRO REP Columbus, Ohio
05/15/69 01/06/71 TRARON 9 (VT-9), Meridian, MS
01/06/71 11/11/71 TRARON 7 (VT-7), Meridian, MS
11/11/71 05/05/82 TRARON 26 (VT-26), Chase Field, TX
05/05/82 06/22/84 TRARON 10 (VT-10), Pensacola, FL
06/22/84 08/31/89 Unknown
08/31/89 04/01/03 CNATRA, COMTRAWING 1, NAS Meridian, MS
04/01/03 STRIKEN
08/2004 - On loan to USS Midway Museum from the National Museum of Naval Aviation (NMNA), with an option for renewal
 

 

Donor of the aircraft to museum:  National Museum of Naval Aviation (NMNA)

 

 

Page updated on 19 December 2007